September 02, 2005

In the Shadow of Giants


Right now, I'm busy with my portfolio.
Come the Toronto International Film Festival, my schedule will burst. I have 20 films to watch over the 10 day festival, and I hope to post about particularly notable ones, as well as, hopefully, the queues; memorable in themselves. This is a rare instance when people are excited by film and one can feel an actual energy emerge from the city. It feels like you're participating in something vital, important and alive!--and in many ways you are: these films evidence emerging voices finding new, engaging ways to tell stories.

Breaking ground occurs in every medium, and the composite above represents my thoughts on those who affected drawing, illustration and representational painting. It is obviously intensely personal, and by no means exhaustive or definitive, and of course has nothing to do with actual movements in art, but, for all intents and purposes, these are some of my heroes, although a couple big ones are absent. These people found new means of expression, were driven by new provocations, and are among the very best at what they did. They set standards terrifically high and had a profound effect on what came afterward. I always try to remember the lineage to which we belong, and these giants, to me, are the embodiment of that legacy.

Let's not forget though, that every graphic artist since the beginning of time has been in control of the same picture elements (the point, the line and the area...), and that our varied use of them results in rich diversity, in these cases, incredible visions. It drives me crazy!--but it also makes me aware that it is possible to acheive picture perfection. The quality of our images is determined by our choices, and the tools are all at our disposal...

Over the next few weeks I had hoped to show you some of the development work I've been doing on a number of films. First though I wanted to show you what I'm aspiring to, what I'm trying to live up to. I don't know how much I'll be able to reveal-I don't want to tip the hand--and the posting will be slow, but bear with me and I'll show you some drawings; but first it looks like I've gotta watch some films...

Yay!

13 comments:

  1. Seeing it all together like that, you realize that really, its all the same thing in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah really.
    It's funny how well Tone stands up to Milt or Tom stands up to Sargent--not stands up to exactly, but stands beside; nothing taking away from the other. Each has integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick

    I think you're the only one i know who attacks the film festival with the drive and pizaz of a professional athlete.

    24 hours in a day
    26 hours to watch films

    Watch his left hook and hit him where it counts...

    DING DING

    GO GO GO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DING DING! Thanks for the compliment!
    And congrats again on your show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool comp..I saw that huge Sargent retrospective in London a few years bag that was unbelievable.
    Have fun at the festival.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Drazen--the fest is like christmas for me! That's nuts about the Sargent retrospective; I've seen a few in Detroit, and a couple in Chicago, but never a big show like that. Must've been amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi there!
    i like your style, very fresh old school touch!
    but where do you get this fabulous "giacomo" sketch?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks very much Monsieur Cheveux! The Giacomo sketch was from a friend at a studio which no longer exists; a very nice photocopy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi nick! sorry for the french language on my blog! maybe i'm gonna use english now for more confort!
    if you want i have some concept sketch of giacomo's secret (done by borja montoro), can we make a deal!!!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. enjoy the show...have fun...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:42 AM

    Hey, I recognize some of these guys but some I don't. Would you mind letting all of us know who these artist's are so we can find out more about them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had actually hoped that people would guess..
    Anyone?

    Of course, if nobody does I'll just tell you, but I thought it'd be more fun this way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:22 AM

    Spanish Property for Sale
    Almeria Villas Spain and Almeria property
    Confused with all the publicity and advertising surrounding Almeria Property? Prefer some refreshing honesty? .......then welcome to Almeria Villas Spain , a family run company where our 20 years experience of living and working in Spain combine to bring you a hand picked selection of Almeria property for sale including villas, townhouses and apartments at prices that other companies find difficult to beat.

    ReplyDelete